London - Investment Stewardship Director (Permanent)
Vanguard is seeking an experienced governance professional to join it's growing Investment Stewardship team. Based in London and covering the EMEA and APAC portfolios, you will play a senior role in crafting and implementing Vanguard's engagement, voting and advocacy strategy on behalf of Vanguards global funds and investors. You'll bring relevant business, investor relations, governance, policy and ESG expertise to the role. Additionally, you will bring strong research and writing skills, the ability to engage with companies at board and executive level and an understanding of global regulatory trends related to corporate governance/ESG. The role will report to the Head of Investment Stewardship for EMEA and APAC and be part of Vanguard's global stewardship team/program.
In this role, you will:
- level of expertise by participating in industry events, industry working groups, corporate initiatives, and researching current events.
- Lead direct engagement conversations with senior officials from funds' portfolio companies to communicate Vanguard's views and expectations on stewardship issues.
- Utilize third-party research, company disclosures, and insights from conversations with active equity and portfolio managers to develop and present proxy voting recommendations aligned with Vanguard's proxy voting guidelines.
- Lead investment stewardship activities, including proxy voting and engagement, to advise peers and divisional leadership on key stewardship issues in an effort to improve policies, practices, and the long-term value of the funds' investments.
- Play a meaningful role in maintaining strong working relationships and presenting high impact analyses, findings, and recommendations to key internal and external partners, including senior staff.
- Lead complex, group- or company-wide projects to ensure that project objectives are met, including the advancement of Investment Stewardship's impact on relevant stewardship issues, such as investment, governance, and ESG (environmental, social, and governance) topics.
- Mentor and coach other crew members to support the advancement of individual crew members as well as team-wide development.
- Contribute to internal training on Vanguard's global Investment Stewardship program. Ensures that new policies and/or procedures are communicated in a clear, concise manner.